Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Art is Not a Thing. It is a Way.

Go Oscar. Go Oscar. Go Wilde. Go Oscar.
I love all the quotations of this poetic aesthete. [The artists and writers of the Aesthetic movement tended to hold that the Arts should provide refined sensuous pleasure, rather than convey moral or sentimental messages. (wikipedia)] He was, indeed, the Stewie Griffin of his time.
Wilde said, "I am not young enough to know everything." This pokes me in a particularly personal place now that I am the parent of two twenty-somethings, who as educated as they are, and as bright as they are, are too young and too smart to know they would barely pass the GED of Life if it were given on other than an NCS bubble sheet...which, surprise, it is.
He said, "I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." As a recent subscriber to Match.com, I gotta say this one really cracks me up, especially if we replace the God part with something that is "spiritual but not religious."
I can't agree with everything The Author of Dorian Gray said. For example, he said, "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." I beg to differ, but only on the grounds that we so often quote Bugs Bunny, who is not so much a person as a wascally wabbit. I wouldn't go so far as to say, "Of course you realize this means war!" but, were he not dead, I would advise Mr. Wilde to consider the wisdom of the nonhuman sages among us lest he miss one of life's important messages, in other words, to not miss the left toin at Albuquoiky.
When he says, "It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless information." I am compelled to quote Daffy Duck, "It is to laugh." In the nowadays of now, that's about all we have, and what better way to illustrated that fact than with this blog.

No comments: